In my previous post I described the beginnings of this very satisfying project. Here is the final painting.

The border was by far the most challenging and rewarding part of the project. In order to get a sketchy feel to the critters on the “pages” I decided that black would be too harsh, so opted for a soft grey. And of course it all had to be transferred from pencil sketch into paint – which means working with a very thin liner brush and hoping that my fine motor skills would not spaz out on me at crucial moments. They have been known to do this – you only have to look at the many attempts at wild dog drawings in this post.

Above are some of the details of the border.

I had enough time to add in one last critter –  a winged visitor to the map.

My thanks to the amazing duo from wild revolution films who hosted me (aka cousin Jess and her husband Pat), the team from the Lapalala Wilderness School for putting their faith in the virtually unknown crazy woman bearing paint, the Lapalala management for providing positive feedback and encouragement, my patient son, who did not complain when a week in the bush was not as exciting as he expected because everyone was working and lastly, the Nyalas, occasional visitors to my outdoor ‘studio’ (a.k.a. the large table on the verandah). Your comments, criticisms and rude interjections, dear Nyalas were much appreciated.

Wild mapping – journey’s end
Tagged on:

6 thoughts on “Wild mapping – journey’s end

• September 8, 2012 at 6:43 am

This is fantastic. I love the border – must have taken a huge amount of work! I would definitely have been too afraid to do that because my hand would not have been steady enough in a million years.

This is sooooo much more exciting than the old one. Brilliant job!

• September 10, 2012 at 7:39 am

Thanks – wobbly hand was definitely my biggest fear! I did the Lilac-breasted Roller first as a test and when I didn’t mess up terribly, and it looked as good as I imagined it would (there were no preliminary sketches or paintings), I gained confidence and perhaps a steadier hand. Feedback from Jess is that the school put it up as soon as they got it and it has been a focal point for all the children who have been to the school since. She has promised me a photo of it in situ – can’t wait!

• September 9, 2012 at 9:49 pm

My heart is full. You’re so gob-smackingly brilliant all by yourself. I miss being around the creative energy.

And, interestingly, Josh just pulled design lead – at least for the electrical system – for a Rwandan school that his Engineers without Borders chapter is doing. He may need to go in January and in our summer. He’d probably love to preview what was done at Lapala….maybe he can help out with energy needs there. Just an overzealous mom letting her imagination run wild…….

The missing does not diminish….with love. Lala

• September 10, 2012 at 7:35 am

Thank you – It’s so satifying to put my skills to use and have them work out well. Every project comes with it’s own packaged set of “can I do this?” and “what was I thinking?” and “I hope I don’t mess this up”. It’s working through the wobbles and having faith in oneself and doing lots of research! AND most importantly, having the La-La voice in my head, giving me a virtual slap and saying “get a grip, of course you can!”
      And of course made all the more special, being a place we have shared. Josh should just hop over and visit anyway : )

• September 25, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I have an EXTREMELY talented mother… It could be intimidating…
    The whole thing is spectacular… but the border scetches take my breathe away. Stunning!
    Love you, genius.!

• September 26, 2012 at 6:11 am

Love you too – your talents are just as awe inspiring : )
      Just different to mine.